WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?
Light Up Lancaster grew from a partnership between Lancaster’s annual Fireworks Spectacular and a pilot event celebrating art and light, ‘Light Up the Streets’ which took place in 2012. The intention was to create a small but magical, after-dark multi-artform trail the night before the Fireworks Spectacular. The pilot event caught the public imagination and people came in their thousands.
From there, Light Up Lancaster gained support from Arts Council England and grew its support from Lancashire County Council and also from Lancaster Business Improvement District (BID) and the event became Light Up Lancaster – a weekend festival of art and light incorporating the annual fireworks event.
Light Up Lancaster is now a partnership event between Lancaster City Council and Lancaster Arts Partnership (LAP). The festival is supported with funding from Arts Council England, Lancaster City Council and Lancaster Business Improvement District (BID). Additional financial and in-kind support comes from the University of Cumbria, STORM, Better With Jam, the Duchy of Lancaster and Lancaster’s arts organisations.
Light Up Lancaster is proud to be part of the Light Up The North consortium.
Our 2020 Ambitions are:
- To develop a wonderful, unique and authentic light festival
- To illuminate and celebrate Lancaster’s landscapes, heritage and communities
- To place performance, participation and young people at the heart of our endeavours
- To grow Lancaster’s international reputation as a destination for heritage and artistic excellence
- To attract significant numbers of visitors and families
- To collaborate artistically and strategically with the other light festival events
- We aspire to develop Light Up Lancaster as…
- A magnet for artists of international standing
- A creative playground for Lancaster artists and arts organisations
- A place for collaborations: between art and business, international and local, professional and community
- An inspiring and loved event, owned by its community